The station opened in 1863 as part of the first phase of the Cheshire Midland Railway′s line from Altrincham to Knutsford. The Cheshire Midland Railway formed part of the Cheshire Lines Committee in 1865.
The original main Knutsford station house building on the Chester bound platform is now offices. The station has undergone refurbishment and modernisation, particularly on the town side which provides access to the Manchester bound platform.
In conjunction with both the RHS Flower Show and the Cheshire′s Year of the Gardens the station during 2008 had a major facelift with the introduction of flower troughs on both platforms and a display of artwork by pupils of Knutsford High School in the shelter on the Manchester bound platform.
On the Chester bound platform there is artwork and a seat in memory of past MCRUA Secretary, Arthur Sancto.
This has been much appreciated especially by those visiting Tatton Park - one of the UK's most popular historic estates.
Knutsford Station has won a number of awards in the Cheshire Best Kept Station Competition.