The station opened in 1862 as part of the first phase of the Cheshire Midland Railway′s line from Altrincham to Knutsford. The Cheshire Midland Railway formed part of the Cheshire Lines Committee in 1865.
The main Ashley station house building on the Manchester bound platform is now a private house.
Ashley is a tiny hamlet adjacent to the railway station.
There is a local village cricket club close to the station and one public house, The Greyhound, a short walk away.