The station opened as Bowdon Peel Causeway in 1862 as part of the first phase of the Cheshire Midland Railway′s line from Altrincham to Knutsford. The Cheshire Midland Railway formed part of the Cheshire Lines Committee in 1865. In 1899 the Bowdon part of the name was dropped and a final renaming to Hale took place in 1902.
During November 2008 a new disabled access ramp was installed to the Car Park on the Manchester bound platform.
The historic Grade 2 listed station is at the centre of the village.
Hale Station has won an award in the Cheshire Best Kept Station Competition.